11.16.2008

At the late night, double feature, picture show

Last night, Daddy and I did something that I haven't done since I was 17 years old:

Rocky Horror Picture Show, LIVE.

Photobucket

Talk about a blast from the past!

When we arrived, I was startled to see how young the cast members looked. Seriously, Dr. Frank was about my age, and Columbia looked to be approximately twelve. Then I realized that they were all most likely in the same age-range I was when last I did the Time Warp at Midnight. I was the one who'd gotten old. 

Once I came to grips with the fact that time waits for no one...not even those who don party hats and throw slices of toast in a crowded theater...I went into RHPS Snob mode. When the cast went around identifying Rocky "virgins" (first-time attendees) I was quick to point out that not only was I NOT a virgin, I was from the home of the longest-running live Rocky show in the country. That's right, ladies and gentleman, I've done Rocky at the Oriental!

Photobucket

Daddy *was* a virgin, however...and was quickly marked as such with a giant lipstick V on his forehead- a signal to the cast that he was to be tortured later on. Highly amusing for me, by the way. 

Overall, the night was great fun-- and the first night out alone that Daddy and I have had since Little Pom was first diagnosed. He was de-virginized in ways both amusing (for me) and mortifying (for him). The cast was not quite up to Oriental Theater standards, but then, I was raised on one of the BEST RHPS casts short of Richard O'Brien and Tim Curry. My standards are thus insanely high..so, I'll forgive them their horrendous Bohemian Rhapsody lip-sync opening act, and instead compliment them on being brave enough to put on their act every single month in Jackson, Michigan of all places. 

This isn't a "news" post. Nor is it a post about LP. I just wanted to tell y'all that we had fun last night and felt like kids again for a couple of hours. Because nothing makes you feel young like shooting people with squirt guns in a darkened cinema.  


No comments: