1.26.2009

Apparently All My Absences Are Long Ones...

I've been crazy busy. Too busy to think. And certainly too busy to write. But I wanted to let everyone know that we are still alive and kicking. Between Daddy's school, DQ's dance, LP's medical appointments and my own ever-expanding job commitments, I hit the ground running at 6:30 AM and don't stop until well after midnight anymore. I'm exhausted and overcommitted- although admittedly most of these commitments aren't mine- but life is good and I am generally pretty happy. :-)

This weekend the family went to Friday night Shabbat service, as we've taken to doing for the past few weeks. We've found a lovely, welcoming synagogue (templebe.org) and a Rabbinical Associate who's willing to work with the Dancing Queen around Little Pom's dialysis schedule. Service *always* starts at 7:30, so this past Friday, we left with plenty of time to eat dinner beforehand. We ate at a Baja Fresh just across the street from the temple and we ate well: chips and salsa, fajitas, mexican rice and beans (well, not for me or LP). We were STUFFED by the time 7:30 rolled around. Well, we booked it across the street and parked. When we got to the synagogue doors, we saw the sign: "Candlelight Service 6:00 in Chapel"

We'd missed it. Missed it by a mile! However, there were about 5-6 people coming out the doors who were extraordinarily friendly and so very sorry to hear that we'd come for service. One of them (who later turned out to be the President of the Congregation) said "but you're in luck! You're just in time for Shabbat dinner! Stay here- I'll go pay for you." O.M.G. We were soooooo full. But he took off before we could stop him and that's how we found ourselves eating two dinners in a row on Friday night.

The food was amazing. It's too bad that I was already so stuffed I could barely eat. But we all picked at enough of the lovely meal to allow our table-mates to feel confident that we were sharing in their bounty. We did not have to force ourselves to partake in their company though. They were active conversationalists and very, very friendly. I feel blessed that we missed service because it allowed us the opportunity to meet people we might not have at a post-service mingle.

We left very full...in a number of ways.

No comments: