3.10.2009

Dear President O,

First of all, I want to say that I think generally speaking you're doing a really good job. THANK YOU so much for lifting the restrictions on stem cell research. This technology has the potential to change my son's life and your willingness to rile up the pro-life movement (although, they are generally anti-my son's life) is commendable. Thanks to your courage, maybe someday my little guy won't have to pee through a hole in his abdomen. I also think it's wonderful that you've lifted the global gag rule. Not only have you taken a stand in favor of curing my son's illness; you've stood firmly in favor of women's lives and that is not (sadly) an easy choice in these polarized times.

That said...

Speaking of women's lives: I've heard you want to negotiate with the "moderate Taliban leaders." WTF!?!? WHO, pray tell, are the moderate Taliban? The ones who only beat women for wearing shoes that make noise, rather than killing them outright? I like you a lot. But this CANNOT happen. To negotiate with the Taliban would be a betrayal of everything you stand for: for democracy, anti-terrorism, female equality, all of it. The Taliban are not and never have been "moderate." Please, don't lend them credibility by giving them a seat at the table.

I voted for change and to a large degree you've delivered. Don't take away from women in Afghanistan what you're giving back to women here. If you are a Feminist president (which you have said you are) then you need to advocate for the rights of ALL women. That means continuing to stand up against oppression and misogyny wherever it is found...whether it's the board room of National Right to Life or the streets of Kabul.

As Abigail Adams said to her husband John: "Please, remember the ladies."

No comments: