6.09.2008

So, Why The Pomegranate?

I have been relatively obsessed with the fruit since 8th or 9th grade. In 8th grade, I tried to convince my mother that Persephone was greek for Stephanie, and that she should therefore allow me to change my name to that of the Underworld Goddess. Obviously, she disagreed. However, my infatuation with the mysterious fruit continued…I had no idea what it looked or tasted like, and could only imagine what could be so enticing that it would cause an immortal to risk an eternity with Death for just one taste. A year later, as a part of a Rosh Hashanah meal at my (Catholic) high school; our atheist, lesbian religion teacher (but that’s a whole ‘nother story!) served us pomegranates. They looked like nothing I’d ever seen before- seeds like gems, tart and juicy. In that moment, I completely understood why Persephone fell for it. What adolescent girl could resist something that looked like rubies and tasted like heaven?

As I grew older, I came to appreciate the pomegranate not only as a yummy treat, but also as an ancient religious symbol. The Greeks revered the pomegranate not only as a symbol of Persephone, but also of Hera, the goddess of fertility and marriage and of Rhea, primal mother of the gods themselves. The Hebrew people considered it a symbol of the law, and said that each pomegranate contained 613 seeds- one for each law. It was considered by some to be the fruit that Adam and Eve partook of- making it not only a symbol of rebirth and fertility, but of law and knowledge- forbidden and revealed. Perfect for me, no?

Pomegranates are found in the High Priestess card of the Tarot, in the Biblical accounts of the Priestly garb, in iconography from both Pagan and Christian sources. Pomegranates have become insanely popular recently- namely because of their antioxidant properties. They’ve become a much touted potential “fountain of youth” food. But I love them for the sustenance they offer the mind & soul. I’m glad that they’ve been discovered by the masses, because it makes it easier for me to find images & products that incorporate my favorite tasty symbol…but I was a “Pom Person” WAY before the hype.

3 comments:

Lea said...

I actually sat and counted the seeds of a pomegranate once, in an endevour to see if it had anywhere close to 613 seeds inside.
You know, for the life of me I can't remember if it was way more or way less, but it was one of those and nowhere near 613 ~ by at least 100 either way.

Let's try this together one day!
~lea
(another Pom fan from way back)

Lea said...

And HEY! You snitched my template!

Chava Tzefira said...

I didn't mean to, LOL...it was the prettiest of the options offered. Hey, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right? I heart you.