9.24.2008

Gratitude

Last night L and I met a kid not much older than the Dancing Queen. It turns out that his grandfather had recently passed away. Because of his age, the man had been added to the bottom of the transplant list and had died waiting for a kidney. I just want to take a minute, in the midst of my fear and stress and work and anger, to acknowledge how grateful I am. Our situation SUCKS and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I tell LP every day that I wish I could make all of this go away...that if I could, I would wiggle my nose a la Samantha Stevens and he would be in perfect health. I can't. But I can at least acknowledge that things could be much, much, much worse...at least LP is a nearing transplant readiness. At least when he does, we have several people who love him enough to be screened as a donor (starting with his Daddy). And if, heaven forbid, all of those people should be rejected as viable donors, at least my baby won't die, languishing at the bottom of the all-important List. 

In the midst of everything, I am reminded to be grateful not only for what we are experiencing, but for what we are not. 

No comments: