10.05.2008

Explaining Sarah Palin

In an attempt to distract myself from my rain-of-crap day by turning to something slightly less weighty, like politics, I found the following quote. It's Carey Tennis, of Salon.com, explaining how the Conservative Establishment uses ignorance as a tool of power and control. It explains Dubya just as nicely as it does Palin...whom it was written about. Here it is:

"Inarticulateness is the weapon of the authoritarian in this way: To speak clearly is to risk being understood and thus disagreed with. To speak clearly is to invite debate. To obfuscate and muddle is to avoid disagreement and debate and force the issue to one of power. The refusal to speak clearly is an invitation for issues to be resolved by power alone: I don't have to speak clearly because you have no choice in this anyway. I'm going to do what I'm going to do."

Makes quite a bit of sense, doesn't it? It also gives some excellent insight into handle those people we all have in our lives who seem so smart & capable & often in-charge, yet can't string together a coherent sentence.

1 comment:

Lea said...

Hmmm, I'm fairly certain I can string together enough words to make a coherent sen.... Oh Look! SHINY!