10.12.2008

Three Weeks

I was challenged by someone close to me to spend three weeks in contemplation, figuring out not what I believe (that hasn't changed much in the past 15 years or so) but rather where I choose to be. I like to float between several religious communities and feel a strong connection to each of them. They each provide something different, something that when coupled with the others, create a whole that I'm rather fond of and work well within. However, my life has become incredibly complicated recently and this friend pointed out that perhaps I was spreading myself a little thin in places that I didn't need to be. It was suggested that I focus on my faith for a solid 21 days, and then decide where I was most invested. WOW. I can't say I disagree with the assessment. It's difficult to balance my work, the schedules of my family members, LP's medical needs and the time constraints that places on us all, and my commitment to several religious groups. I took the challenge and my three weeks starts now. 

I've posted personal apologetics pieces before- defending my faith and my spiritual practice to those who had raised questions. This is NOT that. I'm NOT re-evaluating my relationship with Deity. Instead, I'm thinking about where I worship and what I value in a spiritual community. This is what I've come up with so far:

I mesh well with a spiritual community that...

- Has a strong commitment to social justice work
- Believes in orthopraxy (right action) rather than orthodoxy (right belief)
- Practices in an egalitiarian way that affirms the value of differences and recognizes the ways in which we are all the same
- Connects with the mystical
- Is constantly evolving, yet has connects to a solid foundation of common practice & belief
- Embraces paradox 
- Encourages contribution from everyone
- Has a consistant ritual format that engages through traditional practice

Those are my thoughts so far. It should be interesting to see where these 21 days lead me. In the words of one of my favorite chants:

I am breathing, I am open, I am willing,

I am stepping out into the unknown,

Though the way is uncertain, I am willing,

To listen to the yearning of my soul . . .


No comments: