12.03.2008

A Bigger Life

Last night, Little Pom said something that broke his parents hearts. We were driving him home so that he could go on dialysis and he asked us if we could go bowling. We told him no, we couldn't, because there wasn't enough time before he had to get plugged in. LP burst into tears and said "I hate this! All that I can do is TV and dialysis. I deserve a bigger life than that!"

WOW.

A Bigger Life.

Honestly though, that's NOT too much to ask. My little guy went from school, dance, karate and sports down to...school and dialysis. Or maybe, in a busy week, clinic too. Oh yay. Little Pom is absolutely right- is DOES deserve a bigger life. I'm just not sure how to do that for him.

So, here's where I need feedback: what can I do to expand his world a little bit as we manuver our way through the Land of Kidney Failure? We have 2 hours between when I get home and when he needs to get plugged in for the night. Nearly all sports are out for now, because of his catheter bag. Play dates have been non-existant, because the kids in his class tease him and ostracize him now. (I know....that's a whole other rant) He spends ALL his free time at home. His world has grown very small and that's not okay.

So....ideas everyone?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch. That does hurt a mom's heart. I can only imagine what you're going through. Our kiddo's health crisis is basically cosmetic... once we ruled out all the nasty things it could have been, she basically just lost her hair. Rough, but we don't face losing her or have to deal with physical limitations.

Anyway... racking my brain, the only thing I can think is to see if he has any interest in more sedentary activities... crafts, science, things like that. Building models, robots, or doing astronomy or electronics/computers... what interests him? Then hook him in to online communities and maybe find him other adult mentors in person and/or online. Or it may even be an avenue to find a better class of kids who can act like humans around him and support him rather than tear him down.

Hugs to both of you, this is rough.

Christa said...

oh gosh. that is tough. I wish I had some great advice for you, but my heart would hurt hearing my child say that too. I'm sorry you guys are going through all this!

Lisha said...

I don't know how you guys feel about computer games, especially Internet computer games, but that might be a way for him to virtually enjoy activities and connection with other people. My youngest is a huge fan of Roblox which is like Lego building meets massively multiplayer game play. The players can build their own worlds and then they can play in those worlds with other players. You can not build and just play. You can just build and not play. Whatever floats your boat. There is also chat with other people who are in the same game as you are. Kingdom of Loathing is another fun site. It's role playing, but it's also clever like Monkey Island or Nethack, so the curious kid learns things while they play something seemingly unrelated.

There's also crafts. Some kids like beads others like robots. Crafts give you the opportunity for real social interaction when things are good and time allows, and allow for in the house concentration when not.

Robot building is super cool because you can learn all sorts of skills based on what kind of 'bots you create. It need not be expensive, because you can do nearly everything with recycled materials and free software. There are robot clubs, competitions, robot wars, university scholarships, and even jobs that can come of such a hobby, so plenty of reasons for kids to get interested and encouragement to keep going.

Good luck!!

Ketzirah (Carly) said...

wow. You have a wise little one.
What about a Wii? He could bowl and "play sports" and they have cool music programs too. I'm not into video games, but even I find Wii fun because you have to actually move a little.

Love to you and the family.

Lea said...

How about the kids classes at The Home Depot? They do a great job with the kids and I know how enamoured LP is over building.