7.15.2008

Round About & Back Again

Little Pom was re-admitted to Childrens today. His "Important Kidney Number" went back up to 5. Remember, normal range is about .9 to 1. So, his kidneys aren't thriving on meds alone and tomorrow he's having surgery to have a catheter put in so that he can begin peritoneal dialysis. Peritoneal Dialysis is actually pretty ingeneous, although it's more than a little overwhelming for those who are asked to perform it- the parents. LP will be doing the CCPD version of PD.
Here's the scoop:
http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/peritoneal/

We've done really well with his medication, and the PD will allow us to ease up a bit on his diet, I've been told. But still....it's all sooooooooo scary & new & completely overwhelming. It didn't help any that Little Pom needed FOUR pokes today: bloodwork in the lab (what got us re-admitted), two attempts at IV insertion that didn't work...and one more that did. It was really, really hard for him and I have to say, my seedling is braver than I could *ever* be under the circumstances.

In the meantime, LP's roommate is a 2 year old little boy whose parents (we've been told) rarely visit. We've been here for 5 hours and they haven't shown up at all. He's really lonely and took to Daddy immediately. In fact, he was calling us both Mom and Dad right away. It's a really sad situation and we've unofficially adopted him. For the purposes of this blog, I shall call him.....Bubbles. Bubbles gets through his bloodwork & other pokes by blowing bubbles and he and LP were given a bottle to play with here in their room. Bubbles is very sweet, smart & happy. But he misses his own Mom and Dad. :-(

Surgery is set for early tomorrow, so I'm going to end for tonight. I'll provide a post-surgery update as soon as I have more to share.

7 comments:

Lisha said...

((hugs))

I've got this blog in my RSS reader, so I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. All good stuff your way.

Hang in there, guys. We're rooting for your, little Pom. :)

And Bubbles, too. Poor guy. :(

Chava Tzefira said...

Thanks Lisha. It's been suggested that I add an RSS feed (I think?) to CopperPom, but I'm tech-clueless. If anyone wants to hook me up, they'd be my best friend forever, LOL.

Me said...

Keeping you in our thoughts. You have my cell if you need something.

Irisi said...

Still in my thoughts and prayers dear! Best of luck to the wee one with his surgery..

randomsugarwords said...

I'm so sorry Stef, I had no idea this was happening to R. I hope he is on the mend now, xoxo - Erin

Unknown said...

While it will not really help, traditional dialysis is a lot harsher and entails a lot more time running to and from the hospital. I can't help wonder if Rory's roommate was the neglected one year old from my rotation there. May Dame Fortune smile upon you all.
Keith

Chava Tzefira said...

Could be...the staff say he's been coming here since he was little-bitty. Would you recognize a slightly older Bubbles if he was the kidlet from your rotation?