7.01.2008

Tuesday, 6:49pm

Other than the nightmare of meds, we're pretty well tucked in for the night. The Nephrologist came in and talked to us a little bit more. Dialysis seems like it will happen sooner, rather than later. He's having someone come and talk to us tomorrow about the different ways in which they do it. His preferred method would actually be done at home, overnight, 7x a week. That way Rory leads a normal life, and gets his dialysis through a tube each night when he's sleeping. The alternative method is to bring him here 3x a week, where he sits in a chair for 3-4 hours and they do it through a catheter port in his shoulder. At home, its through a port in his side. I am broken by this news. I *get* that it's not the end of the world....but it's sooooooo hard to imagine the years ahead. He also told us that dialysis only provides an increase of 5% in kidney function- the rest is diet and medication. Which makes the struggle over meds all the more frustrating & scary. The G.I. tube isn't their first option, and he might even be willing to let us go home and try it there in a far less restrictive environment first, but if Little Pom continues to refuse the Bactrim & the Sodium Bicarbonate, then it'll have to happen.

The Pediatric Resident changed today. Goodbye Dr. Sloan, hello "Dr. Dan." It's his first day- ever. He asked to do LP's catheter today and I said no, not if it was his first one. I get that it's a teaching hospital, but he's not practicing on MY kid. The nurse ended up doing it, so I'm guessing I was right...it would've been his first cath. But, for now, until medication time, we're all tucked in. I think I'm going home tonight to rest & gear up for tomorrow. It'll be my first time home since Friday morning. I'll do a little work, pretend everythings okay for a minute, and hopefully come back tomorrow rested & ready. I dealt with med time last night. Let daddy to it tonight!

More tomorrow, after surgery hopefully.

No comments: