7.02.2008

Wednesday, 10:10 am

Still waiting on surgery. Still no news. LP will STILL not take two of his medications, so I think that daddy & I have decided we are okay with a GI tube. Our reasoning is that dialysis (still in the future, although we don't know whether the future means next week or next year) will only add 5% to his kidney functioning- it's the medication that does the bulk of the work for him. The longer and better he takes his meds, the longer (I think) we can delay starting dialysis. In the meantime, giving him his meds & stuff in an alternate way increases his quality of life three ways:



1) Delays dialysis, if only for a little while

2) Ends the 2 hour drama, 2x a day which reduces his trauma and our stress

3) GETS THE MEDICATION INTO HIM, allowing him to recover- whatever "recovery" means at this point.



It's a radical step. It's scary & extreme. We know that. But we've been here for 7 days, and he has yet to make any progress, no matter how slight, in the meds arena. I want to keep him safe & healthy- it's what I've always told him my job is. And I think that a GI tube might be the only way to do that at this point.

On a side note: I talked to LP's school yesterday and they are willing to work with us in terms of dosing meds & monitoring dietary restrictions. They suggested a med alert bracelet in case of emergency, and I ordered a really cool one today from this website:
http://www.stickyj.com/ . LP's getting a stainless steel wrist-tag with interchangable sport straps. He picked out black, camo, outer space and football. :-)

We're waiting on rounds to come through so that he can go down for surgery.

PS- I went home for the first time in a week last night and stopped there to eat on my way home. My waitress made the mistake of asking how I was doing and I burst into tears, LOL/sigh. She sat down at my table, talked to me about Rory, asked to see pictures, gave me a hug, told me she'd pray for him. And then, when I was done eating, told me I had no bill to pay. Her name was Kim. So, if you have a Don Pablos nearby, go there, eat, ask for the manager and tell them that you are there because of Kim. She was an angel in disguise last night. :-)

No comments: