7.03.2008

Thursday, 9:47pm

Didja miss me? I know this is the longest I have gone without posting, but that's because....

WE'RE HOME!!!!

LP was discharged this evening and we are settling in back at home. We've got the foley catheter still in, and we'll have it over the weekend, but so far (in the 3 hours we've been home) it's been okay. We ate out at a restaurant and no one stared or pointed...which was a concern of mine. We'll go back for the Renal Clinic on Tuesday and hopefully we'll get everything set up for the last few procedures he needs for now. Renal Clinic is pretty awesome. We go in and see the Nephrologist, Nurse Clinician, Dietician, and Social Worker (for financial & adjustment issues) all in one swoop. Hopefully on Tuesday, we'll be able to see the Urology Nurse Clinician for the last procedure he needs done before the Minenhof (do I have that right?) Catheter is put in. That'll get rid of the bag o'pee we're carrying around with us now.

More Good News:

I FINALLY got Little Pom to take the last two medicines!! We traded a Tbsp of the nasty pink stuff (bactrim) for 1/2 a tablet of the same, taken at bedtime. It makes a WORLD of difference. As for the Sodium Bicarb, I'll admit: I lied. When it came this morning, it was still whole, so I told him that we had found an alternative for him. He said they looked the same, but I said "there are lots of white medicines. You can tell it's different because this one is two whole tablets you swallow instead of 4 half-tablets you chew." They're the same pills he's been resisting for a week, but darn if he didn't swallow them down with no problem! So, as long as this holds true over the weekend, I'm thinking we won't need the G-Tube after all! HOORAY!!! Poor kid, the final tally for medications is 6 types of medications (15 total every day) plus 1 shot a week. The injection is Epogen, which will stimulate red blood cell production & help his anemia. It's manageable, I think...as long as the battles over meds are over. We'll how tomorrow goes, when we do a full cycle at home. We're going to see the Clawson fireworks tomorrow night and Wall*E in the afternoon. We are under doctors orders to be normal. :-)

Bonus feature: My boss, Daniel, sent us a Bible verse via text message when LP was in surgery. Rob and I have decided that when we have the money, this will be our next tattoos; to commemorate this radical change in our lives and to acknowledge our blessings. Obviously we won't do the whole verses, LOL- just the chapter & verse. Here it is (Jewish Study Bible translation):

When you pass through water, I will be with you;
Through streams, they will not overwhelm you.
When you walk through fire, you will not be scorched;
Through flame, It shall not burn you.
For I the Lord am your God,
The Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
Isaiah 43:2-3

No comments: